Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Research instruction and help
This page has tips, links, and instructional videos and screencasts to help SOWK351 students do their literature review.
The videos below are meant to be watched in order, and then consulted later as needed.
Quick research tips:
- Search more than one database.
- Type in 2-3 main keywords that describe your topic, rather than typing in your entire research question.
- Research and writing help is available both online and in person (at the Metro library) during the Fall 2021 semester. See this schedule for research help hours.
1. Scholarly articles and the tools to find them
- Scholarly articles 0:29
- Google vs. library databases 5:27
- Accessing library databases 6:57
2. Keywords and other strategies
- Translating research question into search keywords 0:15
- Other common strategies and search troubleshooting 6:18
3. OneSearch strategies and techniques
4. PsycINFO strategies and techniques
5. JSTOR and Sage search interfaces
- JSTOR and Sage descriptions
- JSTOR searching 1:00
- Sage searching 4:15
6. Getting help: Hard-to-find articles, APA citations, and additional research help
- Getting articles that seem hard to find 0:25
- APA citation help 4:10
- More help from librarians: options 7:05