- Provide an opportunity for students to engage meaningfully with the Changing America exhibit and associated resources.
- Have students make connections between the Changing America exhibit, relevant information resources and their own lives.
Digital storytelling uses digital media (electronic files, video, audio, web site, still images) to tell a story or present an idea. Many times it is used to reflect upon an idea or historical event and relate it to an individual’s life or current events.
Two honorable mention finalists will receive a $100 gift card to the Metro State Bookstore. The prize winner will receive a $500 gift card to Amazon.com.
To be eligible for consideration of the Changing America Digital Storytelling Prize the digital stories need to:
- Take the form of a narrated slideshow, video, or podcast.
- Be brief. Video or audio should have a runtime of 3 minutes or less.
- Relate to the question: “How has the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 and/or the March on Washington of 1963 affected your life?” Instructors are encouraged to set additional requirements such as relating the exhibit to themes from their courses, consultation of additional resources, etc.
- Be a student currently enrolled in classes at Metropolitan State during the fall 2016 semester.
- Depth of reflection on the contest theme: How has the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 and/or the March on Washington of 1963 affected your life? Demonstration of substantive engagement with the contest question.
- Use of narrative story and images to address the contest question.
- Use of information resources. This includes but is not limited to: course readings, digital images, lectures, videos, library resources, web resources.
- Use of images and audio to convey your story.
- Incorporation of MLA formatted reference list. Remember to attribute images, video, and audio clips used in your story. Ask a librarian about how to find Creative Commons licensed images/music, stock images and materials in the public domain.
- Demonstration of Metropolitan State University’s Mission and Values to foster an open and respectful climate while valuing diversity.
How to Enter
To enter send an email to: email@example.com
Entry emails must include the following:
- A link to the complete digital file (Dropbox folder, Google folder, etc.) or a link to the published work (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.). Acceptable file formats are: .ppt, .pptx, .mp4, .mov, .wav, .mp3
- Student's name, Metro State email address, and telephone number.
- Entry title.
- If the entry was created for a course, the course number and instructor's name.
Deadline for submissions is
October 17th extended to October 24th!
Finalists will be notified by October 29th. The winner will be announced at the Changing America closing reception on November 4th.
Download Digital Storytelling Prize Documents